Rollershield-VB is the vapor barrier version of our Rollershield Liquid applied Air/Water Barrier (LAB). Rollershield-VB is a high quality roll applied flexible air and water barrier. Easily applied with a trowel, brush, roller, hopper gun or airless sprayer. Rollershield-VB forms a continuous air and water barrier that protects approved substrates from incidental water damage.
Features & Benefits
- 100% Coverage
- Class I Vapor Retarder
- Vapor impermeable, 0.07 perms
- Doesn’t rattle in the wind
- Used as water barrier and flashing
- Compatible with Rollershield-RS, Rollershield-TG, SuperiorFlash and WeatherSTOP Tape (also Vapor Impermeable)
- Adheres to most common building materials
- Easy to apply, water based for easy cleanup
- Low VOC
VOC: <1% by Weight VOC: <50 g/l Manufacture Locations: 30058 • 77474• 84651
- Cemplaster Fiberstucco
- Common Cladding Systems
- Rollershield Drainage EIFS*
Packaging: 5 gallon (19L) pail
Pail Weight: 53 lbs (25 kg)
Shelf Life: 2 years
Coverage (estimated per pail)*
Roller: 225-250 sf (21-23 sm)
Trowel: 100-125 sf (9-11.6 sm)
Spray: 150-175 sf (14-16 sm)
*Coverage with 2-coats
Drying & Recoat
Dry to Touch: 1 hour @ room temperature, Recoat Time: 2 hours @ room temperature,
Drying Time: 12 hours @ room temperature at room temperature, working and drying time will vary with temperature and humidity
Application Range: 40-110F (5-43C)
Exposure: Up to 6 months.
Exterior gypsum sheathing
Dens Glass Gold®
Gold Bond e2xp®
Oriented Strand Board
Others approved in writing
Job Conditions – Air and substrate temperature for application of Rollershield-VB must be 40°F (5°C) or higher and must remain 40°F (5°C) or higher for a minimum of 24 hours. Provide temporary protection to protect the wall system from damage until permanent flashings, caps and sealants are installed. Store materials within prescribed temperature limits and out of direct sunlight. Working and drying times are based upon normal room temperature conditions and will vary with temperature and humidity.
Preparation – The substrate must be approved by Master Wall Inc., clean, dry, structurally sound and free of efflorescence, oil, grease, form release agents and curing compounds or anything that would affect bond. Painted surfaces are not acceptable and must be removed. Substrates must be flat and free of fins or planar irregularities greater than 1/4” in 10’-0” (6.35 mm in 3.05m).
Concrete – Must have cured a minimum of 28 days prior to the application of Rollershield-VB. If form release agents or curing compounds exist on the surface, they must be removed with a solution of muriatic acid or similar product (with appropriate precautions). Remove any residual acid by flushing with water.
Brick/Masonry – If joints are not struck flush, multiple coats may be required. Contact Master Wall for more information.
Sheathing Applications – Sheathing gaps must be less than 1/4” (6.4 mm). For gaps larger than 1/4” (6.4 mm) WeatherStop Tape or Rollershield-VB Flashing Tape may be used. Gap wood-based sheathing per manufacturers recommendations, typically 1/8” (3.2 mm) minimum.
Mixing – Thoroughly stir Rollershield-VB into a homogenous consistency. Do not add water, over mix, or add accelerators or retarders to Rollershield-VB.
Application – Rollershield-VB is applied by first treating the joints and fastener locations where sheathing is used, then coating the entire surface with 2-coats of 15-mils wet (10 mils dry) using brush, roller, trowel or airless spray equipment techniques. When using a foam roller, a maximum ¾” (19 mm) nap is recommended. Apply Rollershield-VB in an even, continuous coat, maintaining a wet edge of approximately 15 mils thickness. For moisture protection, Rollershield-VB must be applied as a continuous barrier of 20 mils dry thickness with no breaks or skips, although some areas will appear lighter than others due to the application process. The Rollershield-VB application need not look like a painted surface.
Joint Treatment—Apply a thin layer of Rollershield-VB to the joints and embed Rollershield Flashing Tape into the wet mixture and trowel smooth.
Rollershield-VB may be flashed into window, door and other openings using the same techniques for sheathing applications. Any remaining gaps should be filled with Rollershield-VB and Flashing Tape.
Wall Treatment—Apply Rollershield-VB to the wall surface using the foam roller, trowel or by spray applying and backrolling to a uniform thickness of 20 mils with no pinholes or voids.
Clean Up-Tools and equipment can be cleaned with soapy water when Rollershield-VB is wet.
1. Not for use as an exterior finish.
2. Do not use Rollershield-VB where Rollershield will provide satisfactory performance.
3. Avoid forming a double vapor barrier such as using Rollershield-VB with thick insulation board or insulation boards that are vapor barriers.
4. Do not install vapor barriers on both sides of assemblies – i.e. “double vapor barriers” in order to facilitate assembly drying in at least one direction.
5. Design the vapor barrier for placement on the warm side of the wall.
6. Avoid installation of interior vapor barriers such as polyethylene vapor barriers, foil faced batt insulation and reflective radiant barrier foil insulation on the interior of air-conditioned assemblies.
7. Do not install vinyl wall coverings on the inside of air-conditioned exterior wall assemblies.
8. Enclosures should be ventilated to meet ASHRAE Standard 62.2 or 62.1.Limitations.
9. When adhering Rollershield Drainage CIFS® to the surface assure it is clean, dry and free of surface contamination. Remove any dirt or surface contamination before adhesive attachment.
10. Allowable in-service temperature range: -40° to 180°F (-40° to 82°C).
11. Fire-retardant or pressure treated plywood must be dry with surface free of salts or other chemicals migrating from within the wood. Test adhesion to be sure of desired results.
12. Use a slip sheet, typically one layer of building paper between Rollershield-TG and stucco or adhered masonry veneer over metal lath.
Rollershield is compatible with GRACO and Titan airless spray equipment with the following specifications:
• Minimum 1 gallon per minute output.
• Minimum hose width of 3/8 inch.
• Minimum tip size of 0.027–0.031.
Minimum pressure requirement to spray of 2,000 psi at the gun with an airless sprayer rated no lower than 3,300 psi. Remove all filters in sprayer and gun before application.
Hopper Gun: 3/16″-1/4″ (6-6.5 mm) orifice, 23-25 psi.
Information contained in this product data sheet conforms to the standard detail recommendations and specifications for the installation of Master Wall® Inc. products and is presented in good faith. Master Wall® Inc. assumes no liability, expressed or implied as to the architecture, engineering, or workmanship of any project. This information may be concurrent with, or superseded by other applicable documents, such as specifications and details. Contact Master Wall® Inc. for the most current product information.