Master Wall Inc.® SuperiorFlash is a gun-grade flashing and waterproofing. Formulated with STPE polymers, SuperiorFlash uses moisture curing to produce a highly durable, seamless, elastomeric flashing membrane. Fast curing it allows for same day installation of windows, doors and other wall assembly, waterproofing or air barrier components.
SuperiorFlash bonds directly to damp or dry surfaces and cures under a variety of weather conditions. It dramatically reduces surface preparation time by eliminating the need for reinforcing tapes at sheathing joints, inside and outside corners. It simplifies the process of producing watertight details in new or existing construction.
Use SuperiorFlash as part of the Rollershield LAB application, or to complement conventional waterproofing or air barrier components.
• Streamlines preparation by eliminating the need for joint reinforcing tapes.
• Silane functional polymer provides superior long term adhesion, crack bridging and weathering characteristics.
• Produces an opaque membrane when installed at the recommended 12–15 wet mils to simplify inspection and quality control.
• Bonds to most common building materials without priming.
• Single component saves time – no mixing.
• Produces a durable, weather-tight seal. Bonds and cures in wet weather, on damp substrates.
• Will not tear or lose effectiveness when exposed to weather during construction.
• May be fully exposed to UV and weather for up to 30 days for Rollershield Drainage CIFS® applications, 12 months for Rollershield LAB applications.
• Compatible with most sealants and waterproofing or air barrier components.
• Solvent free. Isocyanate free. Phthalate free.
• No shrinkage. No staining. No yellowing.
• Breathable – allows damp surface to dry.
• Will not support mold growth.
• Service temperatures: –75°F to 300°F (–59°C to 149°C).
• Not for use as a structural sealant.
• Not for use in place of appropriate through-wall flashing.
• Not for use below grade or in locations designed to be continuously immersed in water.
VOC: 30 g/L, maximum
SuperiorFlash is compliant with the following national, state and district VOC regulations:
US Environmental Protection Agency
California Air Resources Board SCM Districts
South Coast Air Quality Management District
Maricopa County, AZ
Northeast Ozone Transport Commission
Distribution Locations: 30058 • 77474 • 84651
Packaging: 20 oz (591 ml) sausages, 20 sausages per case.
Shelf Life: 1 year in tightly sealed, unopened container
15–17 sq.ft. per 20-oz sausage applied at 12–15 mils
Opening Flashing – 4” horizontal, 2” vertical @12-15 mils: 22.5-25.5 lineal feet
Opening Flashing – 6” horizontal, 4” vertical @12-15 mils: 18-20.4 lineal feet
Temp: 40-110F (5o-43C)
Working Time: 1/4 hr*
Cure Time: 12 hrs*
*at room temperature, working and drying time will vary with temperature and humidity
Exposure: 30 days maximum for EIFS*, 6 months maximum for other claddings.
*surface must be clean and dry prior to application of EIFS
Typical Technical Data
Form: viscous paste, mild odor
Specific Gravity: 1.45–1.55
pH: not applicable
Weight/Gallon: 12.5 lbs
Total Solids: 99%
Flash Point: >200° F (>93° C)
Freeze Point: not applicable
Hardness, Shore A: 35–45
Tensile Strength: >150 psi
Elongation at Break: >350%
Water Vapor Transmission: 21 perms (ASTM E 96)
Corrosive Properties: Non-corrosive
Transfer Free Time: 20–40 minutes
To ensure best results, apply to clean surfaces free of contaminants. Chemical residues, surface coatings or films may adversely affect adhesion. Pressure-treated wood and other contaminated surfaces should be cleaned with a solvent wipe before application. Protect people, vehicles, property, plants and all other surfaces not intended to receive SuperiorFlash. Remove and replace damaged sheathing. In rough openings, prime all raw gypsum board edges with BA57. Any gaps or joints greater than 1 inch should be structurally repaired or readied for an appropriate transition membrane. Ensure positive drainage at all rough openings.
Surface & Air Temperatures
Surface and ambient temperatures should be 40°F (4°C) and rising and below 110°F (43°C) during application and drying. Wind and high temperatures will accelerate drying.
Hot Weather Precautions: If air or surface temperatures exceed 95°F (35°C), apply to shaded surfaces and before daytime air and surface temperatures reach their peak. Hot surfaces may be cooled with a mist of fresh water. Keep containers closed and out of direct sunlight when not in use.
Cold Weather Conditions: May be applied to frost-free substrates at temperatures below 32°F (0°C). Product will not start curing and drying until temperature rises to and remains above 32°F (0°C).
Though SuperiorFlash® may be applied to damp surfaces and tolerates rain immediately after application, do not apply to surfaces with standing water or frost.
Apply using a professional caulking gun. Use a DRY joint knife, trowel, or spatula to spread the product. Do not use soapy water when tooling or spreading.
Storage & Handling
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container tightly closed when not dispensing. Do not open container until preparation work has been completed. Do not alter or mix with other chemicals. When stored at or below 80°F (27°C) SuperiorFlash has a shelf life of 12 months after the date of manufacture. This shelf life assumes upright storage of factory-sealed containers. Do not double stack pallets. Dispose of unused product and container in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
Prepare all surfaces as described above under “Preparation.” Once preparation is complete, cut open tip of threaded fitting, install sausage into professional caulking gun.
Waterproofing Rough Openings
1. Apply a bead of product in each corner of the rough opening. Apply additional product in a zigzag pattern over the exterior framing inside the rough opening. Spread the wet product to create an opaque, monolithic flashing membrane.
2. Apply a thick bead of SuperiorFlash in a zigzag pattern to the exterior wall surrounding the rough opening. Spread the product to create an opaque, monolithic flashing membrane at 12–15 mils which surrounds the rough opening and extends 4 to 6 inches (100–152 mm) over the face of exterior wall.
NOTE: When using with existing sheet weather resistive barriers, extend SuperiorFlash 8-10 inches (203-254 mm) over the face of the exterior wall to ensure positive drainage.
3. Allow treated surfaces to skin before installing windows, doors and other wall assembly, waterproofing or air barrier components.
Filling Joints, Seams and Cracks
1. Apply a thick bead of SuperiorFlash to all sheathing joints, seams and cracks. Treat joints ranging from ¼ to ½ inch with backer rod before applying SuperiorFlash. On plywood, spot wood knots, deep cracks or surface irregularities.
2. Use a DRY joint knife, trowel or spatula to tool and spread the product. Spread 1-inch beyond seam at each side to a thickness of 12–15 mils.
3. Allow to skin before installing other waterproofing or air barrier components.
1. Apply a generous bead of SuperiorFlash® to the top edge of the flashing leg.
2. Spread the wet product to create a monolithic “cap flash” flashing membrane that extends 2 inches (51 mm) up the vertical face of the exterior wall and down over the fastener heads of the metal flashing.
Curing & Drying
At 70°F (21°C) and 50% relative humidity, product skins within 30 minutes and dries in 12 hours. SuperiorFlash is moisture curing. Low temperatures and low relative humidity slow dry time. High temperatures and high relative humidity accelerates dry time.
Information contained in this product data sheet conforms to the standard detail recommendations and specifications for the installation of Master Wall® Inc. products and is presented in good faith. Master Wall® Inc. assumes no liability, expressed or implied as to the architecture, engineering, or workmanship of any project. This information may be concurrent with, or superseded by other applicable documents, such as specifications and details. Contact Master Wall® Inc. for the most current product information.